IEEE vs IETF (one more time) was RE: Please make sure that you do not run your WLAN in ad hoc mode

2005-11-12 10:22:25
Hardly a fair comparison.  It is so evident I'll just sum it up.

IETF meetings support the entire organization for the entire year (or at
least a third of it).  Yeah yeah, blah blah ISOC insurance...

IEEE makes money in all sorts of other ways, including IEEE Dues to say
the least.  I haven't tried very hard, but in 30 seconds of surfing, I can
become a year long member in IEEE $156, attend one meeting $300, and get
one specification [picked one at random] $109.

I think it would be great to get a firm price on how much it would cost to
outsource the network.  We would finally get people to realize the value
they are getting by having hosts and volunteers.

--Brett

I can ask, but I doubt that this information is available. What I know
is that the registration fee for the IEEE 802 Plenary meeting is
considerably lower than the one at the IETF (300 USD vs. 500 USD).

Regards,

Dan