Re: RFCs should be distributed in XML (Was: Faux Pas -- web publi cation in proprietary formats at ietf.org

2005-11-15 10:51:36
On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 05:55:42PM +0100, Wijnen, Bert (Bert) wrote:
smb writes:
I've been pondering change tracking, in the context of copy-editing,
but I haven't come up with a complete thought yet.

CVS?  Should the Secretariat make CVS archives available to WG
document editors?  I've written a book and many joint papers via CVS;
it works very well for line-oriented ASCII input, whether XML, LaTeX,
nroff, or what have you.

I think such a service would be a GREAT service for our WGs and document
editors/authors. Has the tools team looked at it at all?

Every little open source software project uses version control systems
these days. The IETF does not. And interestingly, the IETF even likes
to standardize this stuff (look at the WebDAV RFCs). Personally, I
liked CVS and I do even more appreciate SVN these days (which is
actually a superset of WebDAV).

I would love if the IETF could _offer_ subversion services for WGs who
want to use this. It would be nice to be able to simple modify a
document and post the diff in a common format instead of the arcane

OLD:

NEW:

format which really boils the ocean if you have to rename/rewrite
something throughout a document.

/js

--
Juergen Schoenwaelder               International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>     P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany