Re: RFCs should be distributed in XML (Was: Faux Pas -- web publi cation in proprietary formats at ietf.org

2005-11-15 22:13:34

Many ietf folks use a "open source" source code control repository at
sipfoundry.org to edit drafts. The folks at sipfoundry have been happy to
give accounts to any IETF folks (and given sipfoundry is littered with IETF
folks, I'd be surprised to see this change :-). There are already about 160
IETF drafts in this repository. It uses svn instead of cvs. One of the nice
part of that is that people who don't use svn can just use a normal web
browser to get a copy of the document. For example you can see a bunch of my
drafts at

http://scm.sipfoundry.org/rep/ietf-drafts/fluffy/

It has been *very* useful for allowing multiple people to edit the draft at
the same time (like at 2 am before the deadline) and also allow author X to
see all the changes author Y made and quickly review them. The ability to
revert makes it easier to propose text between authors.

I really like using some SCM systems for editing drafts and encourage others
to give it a try.

Cullen