Re: Process for Process Change (Was Diagrams ((Was RFCs should bedistributed in XML))

2005-11-17 14:52:38
"Hallam-Baker," == Hallam-Baker, Phillip <pbaker(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com>
writes:

    Hallam-Baker,> I do not think that you really care about
    Hallam-Baker,> accessibility. If you did you would understand why
    Hallam-Baker,> the idea of putting ASCII art through a text to
    Hallam-Baker,> speech interface is utterly ridiculous. At least in
    Hallam-Baker,> HTML the voice synthesizer knows that it has come
    Hallam-Baker,> to a diagram that it should not attempt to
    Hallam-Baker,> interpret.

I actually can get some content out of ascii art diagrams.  Certainly
more than I could out of a gif or png and more than I would in
practice out of an svg.

I wouldn't mind though if the IETF went away from ascii diagrams
provided that they commit to guaranteeing that the normative text is
complete without the diagrams.  No, doing that is not as hard as some
people seem to think.