Re: XML2RFC submission (was Re: ASCII art)

2005-11-23 12:29:48
Henning Schulzrinne wrote:
I personally would welcome any pragmatic approach that maximizes the
long-term usefulness of our output. I hope we have general agreement
that a structured document format is better long-term than any
unstructured, presentation-oriented format, be it ASCII, Word or PDF.
The latter all lose information that then has to be manually added later
or guessed, with some probability of error, by tools.

The nice thing about ASCII is that you don't need Word or a PostScript
viewer  -- or for that matter a graphical O/S to read them.  And it's
stable.  VERY stable.  Show me something that is vendor neutral for five
years AND A REAL REASON TO GO TO IT, and I'm mostly there.

On the other hand, here's a reason to NOT go away from ASCII.  As
someone mentioned to me today, ASCII art forces people to think about
conciseness and complexity.  If you can't reasonably depict it in ASCII
art perhaps you have a problem with one or the other.

Eliot