RE: ASCII art

2005-11-23 13:56:38
|> -----Original Message-----
|> From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org]
|> On Behalf Of Hallam-Baker, Phillip
|> Sent: Thursday, November 24, 2005 3:09 AM
|> To: Ted Faber
|> Cc: Dave Aronson (re IETF); ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
|> Subject: RE: ASCII art
|>
|> No, the IETF needs to demonstrate that it is CAPABLE of change.
|>
|> The Internet has changed and will continue to change. If the
|> IETF wants to remain relevant to the future of the Internet
|> it must change as well. Note that 'remaining relevant' is
|> not exactly a stretch goal
|>
|> How familiar the bureaucrat's definition of priorities:
|> 'needed for the good of the institution'. Does this mean
|> that you think that the IETF only exists to serve its own interests?
|>
|> There are a billion users out there who expect much more of
|> this institution than they receive. We have a mission here
|> that they expect us to realize: an Internet that is open,
|> safe and accessible to everyone.

Personally I'm not against change when it is going to achieve or help us
achieve our goals.  I dislike change for the sake of change or to make someone
feel as if they are doing something.

Any change to the RFC formats has to be considered with the goals of the IETF
in mind, not the ease it may bring to a few.  I haven't seen any arguments
that convince me changing from ASCII for text and diagrams would be an
improvement or further the goals of the IETF.  I see too many drawbacks and
would hate to see RFC and other documents presented with diagrams that would
require me to find and download templates and art files to be able to view
them or to have special programs to read them.

I'm trying to convince people that plain text is the best and I often point
out IETF documents as a proof the concept works.  The KISS principle works
well with documents.  It is PR and sales that always want documents to be
flashy and contain elements not all can view.

Opening up a document in vi, notepad or MS Word and having it readable and
understandable in all is good.

If a format can be found that allows as wide an opportunity of being
compatible with the same programs people use now then it may be worthwhile to
change, I can't see any real benefits at the moment.

Darryl (Dassa) Lynch