Re: Henning's proposal (Re: ASCII art)

2005-11-23 17:33:10
On 11/23/05, Harald Tveit Alvestrand <harald(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no> wrote:
To be specific.... if you can make up an example XML I-D with an embedded
SVG diagram, and tell me which tool I can use to manipulate the diagram
inside the XML I-D, I'll have a much bigger basis (1 example rather than
zero) on which to evaluate whether I think it's feasible or not.

Harald,

  This is not quite embedded, but that's a detail:

  I created a random svg file with Inkscape, a cross-platform svg
drawing app.  I created an <artwork> element with src="pretty.svg"; it
displayed inline in the cross-platform xxe XML editor using my xml2rfc
plugin (but no inline editing of the graphic) and converted to PDF
reasonably well:

http://electricrain.com/fenner/tmp/svg-demo.xml is the draft;
http://electricrain.com/fenner/tmp/pretty.svg is the picture;
http://electricrain.com/fenner/tmp/XMLEditorScreenSnapz011.png
http://electricrain.com/fenner/tmp/draft-my-document-00.pdf

(OK, so the graphic is cut off in the PDF, but isn't in the preview or
in the graphic editor.  I don't know exactly whose goof that is --
Inkscape shows it properly, as does Batik; both Apache FOP 0.20.5 and
Adobe's ancient SVG plugin show it cut off.  Perhaps someone who knows
more about SVG can talk about this.)

  Bill