RE: ASCII art

2005-11-23 09:14:57
No, the IETF needs to demonstrate that it is CAPABLE of change.

The Internet has changed and will continue to change. If the IETF wants to
remain relevant to the future of the Internet it must change as well. Note that
'remaining relevant' is not exactly a stretch goal

How familiar the bureaucrat's definition of priorities: 'needed for the good of
the institution'. Does this mean that you think that the IETF only exists to
serve its own interests?

There are a billion users out there who expect much more of this institution
than they receive. We have a mission here that they expect us to realize: an
Internet that is open, safe and accessible to everyone.

________________________________

From: Ted Faber [mailto:faber(_at_)ISI(_dot_)EDU]
Sent: Wed 23/11/2005 10:22 AM
To: Hallam-Baker, Phillip
Cc: Dave Aronson (re IETF); ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: ASCII art

On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 05:34:31AM -0800, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
The real reason to change the RFC format is that the IETF needs to make
a visible sign that it is capable of institutional change.

Boy, I'm hoping that was a typo or rhetorical or something.  Because as
written it's pretty poorly reasoned.  I'd prefer to make institutional
changes only when they're needed for the good of the institution, not to
prove that there's working process machinery.

--
Ted Faber
http://www.isi.edu/~faber           PGP: http://www.isi.edu/~faber/pubkeys.asc