Re: Individual submissions and Informational RFCs

2005-12-10 16:37:56

--On lørdag, desember 10, 2005 11:47:37 -0600 wayne <wayne(_at_)schlitt(_dot_)net> wrote:

I just checked again, and in the last several months, I found over a
dozen individual submissions and *none* of them were approved as
Informational.  Most were Proposed Standard.  While some of them were
the result of working groups that had dissolved and such, many (most?)
were only reviewed by one or more working groups.

Is this a change/evolution in IETF procedures from days-gone-by?

Actually it's an interpretation of RFC 2026, the basic rulebook for standards-track documents - so while practice may have varied a bit, the procedures are (in theory) the same as always.

There's an exposition of the various kinds of processing in RFC 3710, "An IESG Charter", which describes what the IESG thought the process for non-WG documents was like in spring 2003.

See section 5, especially section 5.2.1 and 5.2.2.

                   Harald