Re: The Value of Reputation (was Re: [ietf-dkim] Re: WG Review:Domain Keys Identified Mail (dkim))

2005-12-28 02:59:23

----- Original Message -----
From: "Douglas Otis" <dotis(_at_)mail-abuse(_dot_)org>

I see the cycle as going like this:  We need at least one
standardized, moderately-useful system for weakly authenticating
the sources of messages.

I see the base DKIM draft forming a solid basis to identify email
sources.  The ill considered SSP draft will seriously hinder the DKIM
effort.

You keep saying that "every which way but loose."

The thing is, I don't agree and I know I not crazy... so. :-)

The bottom line is "for me" is NO SSP, NO DKIM. I won't bother. I won't
waste my time.    Call it want you want SSP or whatever, the process
must be consistent, and if there is NO HIGH reliable DETERMINISTIC (not
HEURISTIC) verification concept of a newly introduced entity into the
process, then its isn't worth anything.  What's the point?  We will get
swamped with YAHOO junk mail anyway and until the day YAHOO declares a
specific POLICY on how to handle its domain mail, the DKIM/DK overhead
will not be added. PERIOD.

If you wish to continue to pitch "your ideas" that's fine, but you
should really give it up already trying to convince people SSP will
crack the earth.

FWIW, NO SSP == NO DKIM.  Its worth less overhead.

That said, Have a happy new year. :-)

http://www.santronics.com