RE: Baby Steps (was RE: Alternative formats for IDs)

2006-01-05 10:41:13
Unless the IESG has changed the rules while I was not looking,
it has been permitted to post I-Ds in PDF in addition to ASCII
for some years.

BUT the pdf is not allowed to be normative.

Right.  The ASCII version is the only normative format.  Furthermore,
all diagrams, no matter how complex in the PDF version, must be
converted to ASCII stick figures in the normative ASCII version.  There
are no tools I'm aware of to aid that conversion, and in many cases much
is lost in the conversion.

Changing that rule alone would be sufficient to allow modern
graphics to be called up in normative texts.

Agreed.