Re: Permitting PDF and Postscript

2006-01-05 20:54:01
Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

Producing good, portable PDF isn't obvious.

My recent experience is that I got a paper in PDF, though
plain text was more than enough for the paper, and
it included an e-mail address to which I send a mail. I used
Adobe original PDF reader (version 7.0) and, to make sure that I
won't wrongly type or copy the address, used reader's function
to automatically detect e-mail addresses in PDF files (PDF may
contain hyperlinks and recent PDF reader of Adobe optionally
detect additional hyperlinks in text automatically. Both types
of links are not distinguishable). Later, I have noticed that the
mail failed, because the PDF reader has a bug that the auto
detection does not work for e-mail addresses containing "-".

IMHO, the person who choosed the PDF format should be
responsible for the failure.

I hope IETF won't make similar mistakes.

                                                Masataka Ohta