Re: Ietf Digest, Vol 21, Issue 63

2006-01-16 14:14:21
Patrice,

You ask a relevant historical question, so let me try my hand at an answer.

The history here is like this. Vint Cerf set up something called the Internet Configuration Control Board (ICCB) in the late 1970s when we were both at DARPA. It was intended to be an informal group that would meet from time to time, provide inputs and guidance as necessary and also inform a small but critical group of implementers about what we were doing at DARPA.with respect to the Internet. The ICCB consisted of twelve folks from the research community, essentially all of whom were involved in implementing Internet protocols. Dave Clark of MIT chaired the ICCB and it met at various places usually in connection with another set of meetings such as the Packet Satellite Meetings that I ran, or perhaps the Packet Radio meetings or other network meetings at which larger groups would gather. Over a period of years, we had numerous requests from others to sit in for the purpose of just listening to the discussions. At first there were a small number of others sitting in, but over time the number grew to several hundred and large meeting halls were then needed to house the twelve ICCB members plus Vint and me. Logistics soon became unwieldy, and when Vint left to go to MCI in late 1982, I took over the responsibility for the ICCB on behalf of DARPA for about a year at that point. Dave Clark continued to chair the group and I brought Barry Leiner into the picture and helped him to learn about the developing Internet so he could take over for me. Once that happened (late 1983 as I recall), he and Dave Clark recommended that we no longer try to hold such large ICCB meetings and proposed instead to establish an Internet Activities Board (IAB) in place of the ICCB. The IAB would have (initially) ten working groups underneath it to focus on specific technical topics such as routing, end-end protocols, autonomous systems and the like. In this new alternative structure, the twleve members of the IAB would be responsible for chartering and overseeing the working groups and the IAB could now meet by itself since the other attendees were now free to attendee the various working group meetings, which were held at various sites (often and usually research participant sites) around the country, if not around the world. Dave Clark continued to chair the IAB as he had done for the ICCB. When DARPA decided to get out of networking (temporarily as it turned out) in the mid 1980s, the DARPA oversight went away as well. NSF later assumed responsibility for providing support to the IAB (and thus to the IETF) and CNRI was asked by NSF to create a dedicated Secretariat for that purpose, which we did. CNRI ran the Secretariat until just recently, with support from NSF until 1998 and with meeting fees helping to offset secretariat costs starting in the early 1990s. CNRI formed a subsidiary, Foretec Seminars, to carry out the secretariat functions under contract to CNRI. On December 15, 2005 after considerable discussion with the IETF leadership and others, CNRI completed the sale of Foretec to NeuStar Secretariat Services.

One of the original ten working groups under the IAB was called "Internet Engineering" and it was led by Ed Cain of the Defense Communications Agency (DCA). The job of this working group was to maintain a vigil over the "punch list" items needed to get the Internet up and running smoothly at that time (1983). By about 1985 or so, its original job was primarily done, but the number of working groups had by then grown to a number closer to perhaps fifty. The IAB was now burdened by the need to oversee a much larger number of subordinate activities and it asked the Internet Engineering group to assume that responsibility on its behalf and reporting to the IAB. Thus did the Internet Engineering Task Force (as we know it today) come into being as a transition of the original Internet Engineer working group. While there were numerous meetings of the original Internet Engineering group, the first meeting of the group that reflected the new arrangement took place in early 1986 in San Diego.

I do not know what the plans are yet for Dallas, but I suspect the IETF wants to just move ahead and if so I would probably not plan to attend the Dallas meeting. If there is an effort to reflect on some of the historical elements of the IETF, it might make sense for me to attend.

bob

Bob,

They are talking about the first IETF meeting as taking place on Jan. 16, 1986. What about the IETF meeting as one of the several task forces that Barry Leiner put together while you were still at DARPA? There was also the working group series that preceded the IETF. I recall that Jon Postel had kept the records of this work on the early Internet. Also, do you plan to go to Dallas? The last message to Harold mentions some agreement reached at Tunis with respect to IETF work with the to be formed Internet Governance Forum (at least I think that is what it is going to be called) (see early work on it at http://www.intgovforum.org/.

Patrice
----- Original Message ----- From: <ietf-request(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
To: <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Monday, January 16, 2006 10:40 AM
Subject: Ietf Digest, Vol 21, Issue 63

------------------------------

Message: 6
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 11:14:48 +0100
From: Brian E Carpenter <brc(_at_)zurich(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com>
Subject: An important day for the IETF
To: IETF discussion list <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>

Greetings,

The first IETF meeting took place 20 years ago today,
on January 16th, 1986, in San Diego, California. There were
21 attendees and Mike Corrigan was in the chair.

The IETF has come a long way since then. We'll celebrate
this in fine style during the 65th IETF meeting in
Dallas, Texas from March 19 to 24, 2006.

   Brian Carpenter
   IETF Chair No. 6

Message: 7