Re: Last Call: 'Location Types Registry' to Proposed Standard

2006-01-17 06:05:21
The IESG wrote:

consider the following document:
- 'Location Types Registry '
   <draft-ietf-geopriv-location-types-registry-03.txt>
as a Proposed Standard

I'm lost with the purpose of this document.  Does 'water'
cover WC, bathroom, bathtube ?  What is a "criminal mental
institution" ?  Can "an entity" be on a 'cycle' 'outdoors'
in the 'street' simultaneously, and if yes, how do we know
that 'water' 'airplane' 'cycle' is somewhat strange ?

If all that is relevant somewhere for indiscreet devices,
shouldn't there be an enumeration of the IANA registered
locations ?

Will the next IANA registry be a complete dictionary, and
will it by definition include the location registry ?

Is it a good idea to have dictionaries on standards track ?
Is it acceptable to have no "I18N considerations" in the
proposed "location" standard ?

The dummy "security considerations" might be incomplete, if
locations could be used for say search and rescue purposes.

                        Bye, Frank