Re: Last Call: 'Location Types Registry' to Proposed Standard

2006-01-17 19:08:46

So, I'me a receiver.  I receieve a location that I'm unfamiliar with.
How do I render it in my native locale?

I don't think there is any way to accomplish this in general. You have two unpleasant choices:
- render the token as-is, hoping that it makes sense to the recipient;
- automatically translate the token, risking that the translation will be nonsensical.

This is no different than for any other token meant to be rendered to humans.

In RPID, where this is more relevant than in the Registry draft, there is a free-text field with the usual XML 'lang' attribute, which can be used to describe the location in internationalized text. However, in many systems, this is not particularly helpful. As an example, in presence, if your watchers are from many different language communities, the publisher likely can't pick a language that all watchers will understand. Thus, the use of tokens.