Re: Last Call: 'Location Types Registry' to Proposed Standard

2006-01-17 21:57:12
On Mon, 16 Jan 2006, The IESG wrote:
The IESG has received a request from the Geographic Location/Privacy WG to
consider the following document:

- 'Location Types Registry '
   <draft-ietf-geopriv-location-types-registry-03.txt> as a Proposed Standard

final comments on this action.  Please send any comments to the
iesg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org or ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org mailing lists by
2006-01-30.

The file can be obtained via
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-geopriv-location-types-registry-03.txt

What I would like to know is how a document that creates a registry can be
considered for Proposed Standard, as opposed to BCP.  A Proposed Standard is
supposed to be something that can be advanced on the standards track.  How on
Earth does one have multiple interoperable genetically unrelated
implementations of a registry?

//cmh

P.S.  Yes I know we do this all the time but that does not mean that it
makes sense!