Re: Last Call: 'Location Types Registry' to Proposed Standard

2006-01-17 17:32:59
JFC (Jefsey) Morfin wrote:

you start understanding what multimode means in languages.

Maybe I understand "abuse IANA as cheap dictionary for a random
list of locations".  But the list of smileys has some technical
potential, devices could output them as icons, audio, localized
text, or as traditional ASCII art.  For that the list of moods
could give the ASCII art, that's the most limited and shortest
form, plus a corresponding English word as explanation useable
directly in localized text output for "en".

I18N for ASCII art smileys might be tricky, maybe that depends
on the script.  At least BiDi is no issue.  Attempts to smuggle
smileys into Unicode as characters are probably futile, but an
RfC could do.  With the option to create an official registry
of smileys later.  Funny, but not necessarily nonsense.

I am sorry, but in approving RFC 3066 bis, i.e. declaring
itself and the IETF authoritative, this is exactly the RFC
3935 responsibility the IETF has accepted.

Well, you know what "bis" stands for, you know the now three
ISO sources for this registry, you know the executive summary
"3066 + scripts, for certain charsets and languages and other
situations where that's not obvious or irrelevant", you know
where to find draft-lilly-content-script, and you know that
3066 didn't guarantee stable tags.

That's not exactly the same situation as starting a "location
dictionary" hosted by IANA with a proposed Internet standard.

                           Bye, Frank