Re: List archives and copyright [WAS Re: John Cowan supports 3683 PR-action against Jefsey Morfin]

2006-01-23 21:23:23
Jeroen Massar writes:

IANAL but one really doesn't have to bother with US law, that really
doesn't apply to many folks (fortunately :)

The laws of other developed countries are frequently even more
restrictive when it comes to copyright.

There is a much better thing
than US law, it's called IETF, and the fact that there is:
http://www.ietf.org/maillist-new.html which contains:
8<--------------
All IETF Contributions are subject to the rules of RFC 3978 and RFC 3979.
One gets a copy of this when signing up for the various lists.

That's not good enough.  Prospective list members must be presented
with the actual texts themselves and must agree to abide by them
_before_ they sign up.  And in some jurisdictions, even this may not
be enough (see "moral rights" and copyright).

According to you Google and every other website indexing service is a
violation of copyright, better get sue'ing then, you might get rich.

Be careful what you wish for.

At one time, copyright lasted for only a few years.  And at one time,
patents could only be applied to machines.

Archives are meant to store things, which is what they are doing, if you
don't want to contribute then simply don't.

If I contribute to a mailing list that is archived, then my posts may
be archived against my will.

(Who wonders that now I've quoted mr Atkielski if I am in violation of
his copyright...)

People who haven't yet been sued tend to be very flippant about
intellectual property rights.