Re: IETF65 hotel location

2006-01-30 12:54:51
I've abstained myself to comment on this thread until now ... I prefer not
to judge until I actually visit the venue and see the real situation,
because it will be unfair to discover that this venue has been selected
being distant to downtown, when this was the excuse given to me for not
accepting Madrid, which has been proposed since 2001. Then we had San Diego,
which was a much better case, and I though it will never again happen ...
Will see ...

The point here is:
1) I agree with Dave: something that is being commented repeatedly ... Means
is not satisfying people and may be a real problem
2) Those that are expressing opinions on this thread, may be will like to
provide further inputs to a document in the scope of this thread, which has
been developed precisely to cope with this issues:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-palet-ietf-meeting-venue-selection
-criteria-04.txt

Regards,
Jordi

De: Dave Crocker <dhc2(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net>
Organización: Brandenburg InternetWorking
Responder a: <dcrocker(_at_)bbiw(_dot_)net>
Fecha: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 10:41:08 -0800
Para: Bob Braden <braden(_at_)ISI(_dot_)EDU>
CC: "ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org" <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Asunto: Re: IETF65 hotel location

Bob Braden wrote:
I don't understand why this discussion keeps going on and on, much
less why it started in the first place.

perhaps the difficulty is that you do not suffer from the problems being
discussed.  that is fine for you, but it does not make the problems small or
secondary.

when an issue is raised repeatedly, by many different people, it almost always
has some degree of inherent legitimacy.  that makes it worth attending to.

some tactical problems have strategic impact. in this case, decisions which
well
might serve to make the ietf less inclusive ought to be taken seriously.

it used to be relatively easy and inexpensive to attend ietf meetings.  this
no
longer holds.  that excludes keeps potentially useful participants.

d/
--

Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking

The IPv6 Portal: http://www.ipv6tf.org

Barcelona 2005 Global IPv6 Summit
Slides available at:
http://www.ipv6-es.com

confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the
individual(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient be aware that
information, including attached files, is prohibited.