RE: IETF65 hotel location

2006-01-30 07:04:57
Dave Crocker write:
the questionnaire will not serve to understand the needs
of people who are *unable to attend*

Perhaps we should ask a more open-ended question (i.e. "B" below):

A) Did you attend IETF-65?
B) If not, why not?

Regards,

Ed

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of
Dave Crocker
Sent: Sunday, January 29, 2006 9:26 PM
To: Marshall Eubanks
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: IETF65 hotel location

However, to be constructive, I would like to suggest adding two yes or
no questions to the next meeting questionnaire :

A.) Do you feel that the venue chosen for the meeting was too remote,
in
terms of accessibility of restaurants, bars, your or other hotels,
etc. ? >
B.) (If "A" is answered yes.) Would having another IETF meeting in a
site
that is similarly remote make it less likely that you would attend ? >

Asking questions like this could be quite useful.

The challenge is in making sure that the right people get asked.

If the questions are asked of people who already attended the meeting,
then the
sampling is of people with the resources to accommodate the current
style of
meeting arrangement.

While some might grouse about one characteristic or another of the
current
choices, the questionnaire will not serve to understand the needs of
people who
are *unable to attend* IETF meetings because of current costs, due to
remoteness, hotel fees, or the like.

(By the way, the "what will make it less likely you will attend" type of

question is often interesting to ask, but is usually not a good
predictor of
actual behavior.)

d/
--