Re: IETF65 hotel location

2006-01-30 12:00:47
At 12:25 PM 1/30/2006, John Levine wrote:
>So, in the context of a location that may be considered isolated, I
>think it might be useful to consider this an experiment, and judge
>the reaction of the community after the meeting towards this
>variable.

A reasonable question, but it probably needs to be picked out a little
more than that.  For us self-employed weenies, the price of the trip
is an issue, and part of the problem of isolated hotels is that they
tend to have restaurants where the burger costs $23.95 and takes an
hour to arrive.  In this case, there are cheaper hotels nearby, but
unless you want to eat at Denny's, the culinary and options are thin.

I'll echo John's sentiments, also being self-employed. My IETF participation is spotty at best of late based on the expense.

Also being vegan, some locales can be especially difficult. (Memphis was sure a challenge). I still have a hard time thinking of a better place than Minneapolis in wintertime. The hotel costs weren't bad, and who knew Minneapolis was one of the most vegan and vegetarian friendly places in the US?