Re: IAB Response to Appeal from Jefsey Morfin

2006-01-31 19:16:42
Harald Tveit Alvestrand writes:

Thank you for the processing of this request.

However, this mailing list maintainer is now completely uncertain about
what his marching orders are with regards to continuing to administer the
ietf-languages list.

The IAB seems to have decided that it's the IESG that has to decide this;
there is nothing else in the decision of the IAB that is clear to me.

Until the IESG hands me a new decision, I will continue to administer the
ietf-languages list as if RFC 3683 was appropriate guidance for
administering it, including upholding the current suspension of posting
rights for Jefsey Morfin until February 13, 2006.

The alternatives would be to declare that I'm making up the rules on my
own, or to declare that the list has no rules until the IESG decides; the
last interpretation is not one I'm willing to run a list under.

(Yes, he's gotten suspended again.)

It sounds a lot like you're trying to rationalize a personal
preference.  Your instructions are apparently unclear, so you just do
what you want.  It takes you several paragraphs to say it, but that's
what it amounts to.

I like the use of the passive: "He's gotten suspended again," as if a
stray lightning bolt did this and no human being had any role in it.
Apparently you must uphold the suspension actively, but the suspension
itself takes place through some sort of external magical influence.