udp source address change

2006-02-07 11:24:48

Please excuse if this post is not in the correct place - I wasn't sure where to
put a question such as this.

We are using an HP ProCurve switch in our network as a router ( it’s a layer 3
switch ).  We are communicating with all devices on the far side of the router
(HP switch) with SNMP – including the far side management interface of the HP
switch.  When the switch responds to the SNMP query it uses the near side IP
address as the source address in the UDP header – rather than the far side IP
address that the query was addressed to.  Since this is not the IP that we are
intending to talk to, our security policy does not allow us to accept the
message.

Is the behavior of the HP switch legal under UPD?   It seems to me as though
this should not be allowed.