Re: udp source address change

--===============1336328525==

--------------enigCADC6924BAD7521CFFC2A32E

mharrima101 (sent by Nabble.com) wrote:
Please excuse if this post is not in the correct place - I wasn't sure
where to put a question such as this.
=20
We are using an HP ProCurve switch in our network as a router ( it=E2=80=
=99s a
layer 3 switch ).  We are communicating with all devices on the far sid=
of the router (HP switch) with SNMP =E2=80=93 including the far side ma=
nagement
interface of the HP switch.  When the switch responds to the SNMP query=

it uses the near side IP address as the source address in the UDP heade=
=E2=80=93 rather than the far side IP address that the query was addres=
sed to.
 Since this is not the IP that we are intending to talk to, our securit=
policy does not allow us to accept the message. =20
=20
Is the behavior of the HP switch legal under UPD?   It seems to me as
though this should not be allowed.

UDP is connectionless.

=46rom a UDP point of view, it is legal for the HP switch to send a UDP
packet with any IP address from one of its own network interfaces (as
per RFC1122, since it is acting as a host when it sources or sinks traffi=
c).

This may or may not be the case from SNMP's point of view, however, just
as Sec 7.3 of RFC1035 points out a similar DNS "name server bug" (quoted
from the RFC, as others have raised as related).

I.e., this is probably an SNMP bug, possibly an SNMP protocol violation,
but not a UDP issue. (hint: if you have to look at the UDP payload to
decide if it's valid, it's not a UDP issue).

Joe

        Well while not illegal it is expected that response should come
        from the address the request was sent to.  SNMP is a request /
        response application and unless otherwise specified the response
        should be coming from the address the request was being sent to.

        I would say the switch in question was broken.

        Mark

         4.1.3.5  UDP Multihoming

            When a UDP datagram is received, its specific-destination
            address MUST be passed up to the application layer.

            An application program MUST be able to specify the IP source
            address to be used for sending a UDP datagram or to leave it
            unspecified (in which case the networking software will
            choose an appropriate source address).  There SHOULD be a
            way to communicate the chosen source address up to the
            application layer (e.g, so that the application can later
            receive a reply datagram only from the corresponding
            interface).

            DISCUSSION:
                 A request/response application that uses UDP should use
                 a source address for the response that is the same as
                 the specific destination address of the request.  See
                 the "General Issues" section of [INTRO:1].