Re: STRAW PROPOSAL RFC Editor charter

2006-03-17 14:29:49
Ran,

RJ Atkinson wrote:
  There was an understanding then that the
RFC Editor's role extends far beyond just publishing IETF-sponsored
documents.  I am concerned that this is not being acknowledged now.
I would feel a lot better if there were more public acknowledgement
that the RFC Editor's role extends far beyond the IETF-sponsored
documents.
It may have been true in 1993.

At the moment, the part of the RFC Editor's role that extends beyond the IETF-sponsored documents is a small fraction (5%?) of the RFC Editor's output, and, I suspect, an even smaller fraction of the motivation for people and organizations to sponsor the RFC Editor; *all* of the funding for the RFC Editor comes through ISOC.

At this moment, the RFC Editor is a function controlled, for better or worse, by the IETF. The IETF may choose to use the RFC process for other purposes than publishing IETF documents (and I think it should).

But I do not believe that the concept of an RFC Editor that is independent of the IETF is a sustainable model at this time.

                     Harald