RE: draft-santesson-tls-ume Last Call comment

2006-03-21 23:05:01
Kurt:

Would text like the following (which is largely stolen from draft-ietf-tls-psk) solve your concern:

This document does not specify how the server stores the user_principal_name, or how exactly it might be used to locate a certificate. For instance, it might be appropriate to do a case-insensitive lookup. It is RECOMMENDED that the server processes the user_principal_name with a stringprep profile [STRINGPREP] appropriate for the identity in question, such as SASLprep [SASLPREP].

Russ

At 12:19 PM 3/21/2006, Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
At 11:06 AM 3/21/2006, Stefan Santesson wrote:
>Kurt,
>
>I've spent some time over this topic with Russ Housley and Paul Hoffman
>here at the IETF and the conclusion is that we should not specify any
>granular encoding or matching rules for the hints.
>
>The client's use of the name hint requires the client to know its
>account name and as such the client will also know in what form the
>server needs it.

What about character set/encoding?

- Kurt