IETF(_at_)20 Guerilla Party Events for Wednesday

2006-03-22 07:10:08
IETF(_at_)20 Guerilla Party Events for Wednesday

**Euro Sticker Day**

Euro stickers are those lovely country labels you see on autos whilst visiting our European friends as opposed to the rectangular car art we have in the States slamming or promoting a political candidate of choice. W 04 anyone? Today, you can join IETF Country with your very own Euro-style sticker that says: IETF, Internet Engineering Task Force, 20 years of rough consensus and running code. Wondering what to do about that little dent on your car? Now you have the answer. Wondering what to stick on your computer to cover up that company logo? Again, you have the answer. Pick up your sticker at the IETF(_at_)20 table. I will remind you that these are first-come, first-served and will be placed on the table at random times during the day. Be kind and allocate fairly.

**IETF(_at_)20 Gone Wild**

Observe the IETF65 A-listers today at the IETF(_at_)20 table. Video shot on Monday will be available for your viewing complete with grey beards and Bert. For the folks that aren?t onsite, we?ll be archiving the video on the web in a week or two. Crack a brew and watch on your monitor.

**IETF(_at_)20 Trivia**

Visit today?s trivia event at http://ietf20.isoc.org/trivia/. Take a minute or two to test your knowledge of the IETF and get a chance to be one of 20 lucky people each day to receive a bag filled with IETF(_at_)20 goodies.

For today's (Wednesday?s) drawing, we will select the first submitter, 10 random names and the 9 last submitters from all entries. Ahhh, procrastination, ain?t it grand?

If you were a winner for Tuesday?s event, you should have received an email from me telling you so. Pick up your prize during the course of the IETF65 meeting in the ISOC office. Office hours will be posted with the winners list on the IETF(_at_)20 table. The ISOC office is at the Opal Room on Tower lobby floor across from Business Center.

**Stories of the IETF**

Help us celebrate the IETF(_at_)20 by sharing your favorite story or stories from your IETF experiences over the last 20 years. Tell us about a memorable experience at the IETF ­funny, momentous, notorious, life changing, etc. CIDR versus TUBA. SNMP fun of the early 90s. The striptease. The genesis of OBE. Your first meeting. Everyone?s got a favorite story.

This is our chance to collectively illustrate the culture and successes of the IETF. Let?s document our own little bit of history, okay?

Submit your story in plain text at http://ietf20.isoc.org. Hate writing? Send us a video or an audio file (but verify in advance at ietf20(_at_)isoc(_dot_)org). We?re collecting submissions and publishing them on the web. We?ll also be publishing a printed book comprising some of the stories that best illustrate the breadth and depth of IETF culture and activities.

The stories will be accepted throughout 2006. ISOC is sponsoring this because it should.

**Miscellany**

IETF(_at_)20 Guerilla Partying is sponsored by ISOC for IETF65. This is for amusement. None of your registration fees were used to support these activities. No insects were harmed during the planning process. Yes, there will be different activities each day. And, if you don?t want to pay attention to the IETF(_at_)20 stuff because it makes you feel too fun or you are busy trying to convince people that the weather in Minneapolis is a darn sight better than Dallas in March, delete these messages.

**Tuesday?s Trivia**

1. One IETF attendee appeared on more than a dozen IETF name badges at the Stanford IETF -- name him or her.
Milo Medin.  I have no idea why.

2. Which IETF area no longer exists?
User Services. April and team, we miss you.

3. For some of us, getting bombed had a different meaning. Up until about 2 years ago, this game was the semi-official game of the IETF. Name it.
Nuclear War.  Get your own deck at http://www.flyingbuffalo.com/nucwar.htm

4. The first IETF t-shirt was designed and printed at what IETF meeting?
Hawaii -- Nerds in Paradise. It was pink and everything and I vaguely remember flamingos. Wish I had one.

5. Dave Clark once said of an IETF meeting: 'It was the kind of meeting where the blood on the floor came from biting your tongue.' True or false?
True.  Scary, eh?

**Die-Hard Attendees >50 Meetings**

This list is still growing. I did like the suggestion from Carsten Bormann who said: ?Actually, I'd propose an IETF pain index, which is: sum of squares of the number of time zones between place of work and place of IETF meetings attended.?

Here?s the Die-Hards as of Tuesday night:
? Ole Jacobsen (58)
? Scott Brim (55)
? Ross Callan
? Vince Fuller
? Tony Hain (51)
? Bob Hinden
? Allison Mankin
? Matt Mathis
? Keith McCloghrie
? Yakov Rekhter
? Mike St. Johns (60+)
? Jeff Schiller
? Lixia Zhang

But remember this: the IETF's work is the sum of the whole -- each of the thousands of volunteers that contributed in the past 20 years has left their mark. You can make a difference in just one meeting!