Re: Jabber chats (was: 2 hour meetings)

2006-03-25 08:27:58
Hello;

On Mar 25, 2006, at 1:28 AM, john(_dot_)loughney(_at_)kolumbus(_dot_)fi wrote:

Maybe we should leave the Jabber meeting rooms up all the time, and use them for more dynamic discussions.
John

Do you mean during the meetings (which I think was done this time, Monday - Friday) or
permanently ?

Regards
Marshall

- original message -
Subject:        Re: Jabber chats (was: 2 hour meetings)
From:   Stig Venaas <stig(_dot_)venaas(_at_)uninett(_dot_)no>
Date:           03/24/2006 5:01 pm

Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
From: Tim Chown [mailto:tjc(_at_)ecs(_dot_)soton(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk]

Well, if we make remote participation too good, we may end up
with rather empty meeting rooms and a bankrupt IETF ;)

What we should do, given the rush of work that happens pre-ID
cutoff, is maybe look at such technology for interim
meetings, and have the IETF support some infrastructure to
help interim meetings run more
effectively, maybe even without a physical meeting venue.   Some WGs
might then run more interim virtual meetings and help
distribute the workload over the year more smoothly.

You mean like holding a bi-weekly teleconference?

VOIP is getting to the point where this is practical.

Personally I find jabber (and similar technologies) much more convenient
than voice. I've used that a few times with a small group of people to
discuss and solve technical problems. I feel it allows more interactive
discussions and is also easier non-native English speakers,

I think using the wg jabber rooms we got for regular discussions of
specific issues is a great idea.

Stig