Re: Proposed 2008 - 2010 IETF Meeting dates

2006-03-25 08:21:56
Ray,

I think our goal is to not lose essential participants from the IETF due
to clashes. In fact that's why we want to schedule several years out, so
as to make it easier for many other organizations to do their scheduling.
If we do that, it's each organization's choice whether or not they avoid IETF
weeks. (This week, for example, ITU-T NGN chose to schedule two major meetings
in other cities.)

I don't think it's discriminatory to put the NICs and NOGs that don't seem
to have a large overlap with IETF participants in the second category. It's
just a matter of practicality, given that optimal scheduling is a
fundamentally imsoluble problem anyway. I'd be delighted to see growth in
African participation in the IETF (the spreadsheet shows two people from
Africa pre-registered this week).

    Brian

Ray Plzak wrote:
Why should AfriNIC be considered any less of an RIR than the other APNIC,
ARIN, LACNIC, or RIPE NCC(meeting is at RIPE meeting)? Why should AFNOG be
considered any less of an operator's forum than NANOG or EOF(meeting is at
RIPE meeting)? We are talking about an entire continent. It seems to me in
this case that the priority should be equality of treatment based on the
function being performed for a region and not any other perceived reason for
inequity. Or doesn't the IETF care about the Internet in the developing
regions of the world?

Ray