Re: Proposed 2008 - 2010 IETF Meeting dates

2006-03-31 06:00:37
Joel,

Joel Jaeggli wrote:
On Tue, 28 Mar 2006, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:

I think is clear that we need to fix the meeting dates, and that should be done in advance so we avoid clashes with other events and we can negotiate
with hotels and sponsors ahead of time enough to make it cheaper.

While I don't agree is to take in consideration national holidays unless
they are (almost) *worldwide* ones. Otherwise, taking the national holidays from one or the other country will be discriminatory for the rest. Moreover when we don't know the place we will meet 3-4 years in advance. Otherwise we
need to manage at the same time the meeting date and the place for each
meeting, which we know is impossible.

I mean at the meeting venue.

It works the other way round. We fix our dates 2 or 3 years in advance,
avoiding clashes with other organizations and international holidays
as much as possible. Site selection inevitably comes later, which means
local holidays may influence site selection, but not date selection.

Also note that local holidays may be city specific not country specific.
It's quite impractical to consider city holidays three years out.

    Brian