Re: Proposed 2008 - 2010 IETF Meeting dates

2006-03-25 09:47:44
Ray Plzak (private),

Can you give the email addresses of the AfriNIC, AfNOG and SANOG
leaders? I'd like to write to them explicitly about this. It would
be good to get them more involved in the IETF.

Thanks

    Brian

Brian E Carpenter wrote:
Ray,

I think our goal is to not lose essential participants from the IETF due to
clashes. In fact that's why we want to schedule
several years out, so as to make it easier for many other organizations to do
their scheduling. If we do that, it's each
organization's choice whether or not they avoid IETF weeks. (This week, for example, ITU-T NGN chose to schedule two major meetings in other cities.)

I don't think it's discriminatory to put the NICs and NOGs that don't seem to
have a large overlap with IETF participants in
the second category. It's just a matter of practicality, given that optimal
scheduling is a fundamentally imsoluble problem
anyway. I'd be delighted to see growth in African participation in the IETF
(the spreadsheet shows two people from Africa
pre-registered this week).

Brian

Ray Plzak wrote:

Why should AfriNIC be considered any less of an RIR than the other APNIC, ARIN,
LACNIC, or RIPE NCC(meeting is at RIPE
meeting)? Why should AFNOG be considered any less of an operator's forum than
NANOG or EOF(meeting is at RIPE meeting)? We
are talking about an entire continent. It seems to me in this case that the
priority should be equality of treatment based
on the function being performed for a region and not any other perceived reason
for inequity. Or doesn't the IETF care
about the Internet in the developing regions of the world?

Ray

-----Original Message----- From: Joel Jaeggli
[mailto:joelja(_at_)darkwing(_dot_)uoregon(_dot_)edu] Sent: Saturday, March 25,
2006 1:53 AM
 To: JORDI PALET MARTINEZ Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org Subject: Re: Proposed
2008 - 2010 IETF Meeting dates