Re: the iab & net neutrality

2006-03-25 11:08:54

--On Saturday, 25 March, 2006 12:54 -0500 "Jeffrey I. Schiller"
<jis(_at_)mit(_dot_)edu> wrote:

The problem is how do we differentiate between cases where
content providers pay to get a higher then default QOS for
their streams vs. the case where the provider pays to prevent
the ISP from intentionally interfering with their streams. I
believe the former is reasonable while the later is extortion.
Then there is the threat that ISP's will permit their
"default" level of service to degrade over time because all
those who "care" must now pay for higher QOS.

The latter is, of course, one of the interesting behaviors that
have been observed in parts of the US (at least) from TV cable
providers.  And, behold, several of them have become major ISPs
for the residential / telecommuter/ SOHO market, so we are
dealing with a group that has already learned that particular
trick.
:-(

    john