Re: the iab & net neutrality

2006-03-25 11:09:34
Brian,

Actually the document I referenced is also around 9 years old - so even then
we were having a Fine Debate about settlement systems in this industry.

The introduction of "Content" into this debate has also been interesting
with the earliest intersection of the two groups (ISPs and content
factories) resulting in the claims of "you have to pay me" coming
from the content industry and being directed to the IP access providers,
while the precise opposite is the case today. (Some reflections arising
from the first set of encounters are at
http://www.potaroo.net/ispcol/2001-06/2001-06-content.html
if anyone is vaguely interested in such things!)

Content was, and remains, a distinct  overlay economy and making
claims that content providers should pay ISPs for the shortcomings
in the ISP's own network engineering are around as specious as
earlier claims that that ISPs should pay content providers for
content that their customers may well have been completely uninterested
in!

(Bundling service and infrastructure, in whatever form, also strikes
me as yet another reprise of that 'convergence' nonsense that has
been inflicted on this industry for some decades now, primarily by
folk looking desperately for monopolistic relief from the harsh
realities of a highly competitive deregulated communications industry.)

regards,

   Geoff