Re: the iab & net neutrality

2006-03-27 09:34:01
I think Henning and I are saying the same thing (he's just saying it better).

From: "Henning Schulzrinne" <hgs(_at_)cs(_dot_)columbia(_dot_)edu>

Trying to devise ever more elaborate NAT traversal mechanisms that include sending keep-alives every few seconds and various "let's try this and then that" algorithms clearly don't scale if we want to get to consumer-grade reliability, not just interesting toys that try to stay one step ahead of the next stupid NAT trick.

I know that I agree with this.

Thus, I think we need a separate organization (or work with a separate organization) that does branding and certification. It's hard to buy a non-WiFi device in stores today; the equivalent consumer assurance needs to be true for core consumer and small-business network devices, and possibly services.

I don't know how this would work, but if it could be made to work, that might be very helpful.

Thanks,

Spencer