RE: The Emperor Has No Clothes: Is PANA actually useful?

2006-05-26 11:07:18

"Bernard" == Bernard Aboba <aboba(_at_)internaut(_dot_)com> writes:

    >> My question is more why do they need EAP in situations where
    >> they are not running at the link layer than why do they want or
    >> not want PANA.

    Bernard> The simple answer is that there are situations which IEEE
    Bernard> 802.1X cannot handle on wired networks.  As specified,
    Bernard> IEEE 802.1X is "network port control", which means that
    Bernard> authorization is controllable only at the port level.  If
    Bernard> there is more than one host connected to a switch port,
    Bernard> then that model no longer applies.

Yeah.  I guess I wonder whether you are actually getting
network access authenticatino at that point or whether you
are getting a service that allows you to check posture.  It
seems that a service that simply allows you to check posture
should be not EAP.

I fully agree. As far as I can tell, using EAP in this manner merely
reduces it to a posture transport protocol. The level of security
provided by EAPoUDP does not seem to be any greater than a
kerberos-based authentication done today in most enterprise networks,
considering the presence of switched ethernet. Hence, the only reason to
move to EAPoUDP would be to check posture and I agree with Sam that
making EAP the posture transport protocol is a bad idea.

Vidya