automatic discovery [Re: The Emperor Has No Clothes: Is PANA actually useful?]

2006-05-27 10:46:46
On Sat, 27 May 2006, Yoshihiro Ohba wrote:

Vidya,

Administratively scoped multicast is not the only way for PAA
discovery.  DHCP based PAA discovery is also available:

draft-ietf-dhc-paa-option-02.txt

I suspect adminsitratively scoped multicast discovery wouldn't be acceptable for much the similar reasons as Service Location Protocol (SLP) wouldn't be -- it requires multicast deployment.

We made an analysis of end-point discovery mechanisms for v6 tunnels a while ago. It might be worth a read:

http://draft-palet-v6ops-tun-auto-disc.potaroo.net