Re: Acknowledgements section in a RFC (Was: Last Call: 'Matching of Language Tags' to BCP (draft-ietf-ltru-matching)

2006-06-07 06:23:04
On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 09:10:25AM -0400,
 Joel M. Halpern <joel(_at_)stevecrocker(_dot_)com> wrote
 a message of 86 lines which said:

the acknowledgements section was intended for folks who wrote
pieces, or folks who suggested useful ideas, or provided significant
useful corrections, etc.  The contributors section was introduced in
conjunction with the effort to reduce the set of authors to those
who wrote the primary text.  So Contributors is usually used for
those who wrote sections of text, but not enough to be authors.

These rules are perfectly reasonable (even if they would cost me my
acknowledgment in draft-ietf-ltru-matching) but:

1) They do not seem to be written somewhere. I cannot find them in the
RFCs talking about RFCs (meta-RFCs? IPODs?).

2) They are not currently applied or enforced, as anyone can see when
comparing a RFC with the work in the WG which created it. (Not a big
deal but good to keep in mind when you read an Ack section.)