Re: Acknowledgements section in a RFC (Was: Last Call: 'Matching of Language Tags' to BCP (draft-ietf-ltru-matching)

2006-06-07 06:37:15
On 06/07/2006 09:22 AM, Stephane Bortzmeyer allegedly wrote:
These rules are perfectly reasonable (even if they would cost me my
acknowledgment in draft-ietf-ltru-matching) but:

1) They do not seem to be written somewhere. I cannot find them in the
RFCs talking about RFCs (meta-RFCs? IPODs?).

2) They are not currently applied or enforced, as anyone can see when
comparing a RFC with the work in the WG which created it. (Not a big
deal but good to keep in mind when you read an Ack section.)

They should not be *rules*.  If you try to formalize the definition of
a "contribution", then we get into eternal niggling.  If you feel like
you have been unjustly left out of an acknowledgments section in a
specific draft or RFC, argue your case.  Let's not have yet more
process and procedure and administration for issues that don't affect
running code.