RE: IETF IPv6 platform configuration

2006-07-06 09:03:00
We are looking into this and will post a response as soon as we have
some more information.  As always, thanks for the notification!!

Jon Lindberg
NSS

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Fenner [mailto:fenner(_at_)research(_dot_)att(_dot_)com]
Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2006 10:46 AM
To: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: IETF IPv6 platform configuration

My recent experiences with ftp.ietf.org:

EPSV doesn't work - it gives a port which it then isn't listening on
(or, more likely since we get no response at all, a firewall blocks
connections to):

ftp> ls
---> EPSV
229 Entering Extended Passive Mode (|||42065|)
ftp: connect for data channel: Operation timed out

[simultaneously in another window]
compost% telnet ftp.ietf.org 42065
Trying 156.154.16.149...
telnet: connect to address 156.154.16.149: Operation timed out

EPRT for IPv4 doesn't work - it returns an error "Bad EPRT protocol."

---> EPRT |1|192.20.225.40|56318|
500 Bad EPRT protocol.

Apparently, the FTP server doesn't want to allow EPRT with IPv4.
("1" is IPv4).  It's not using the 522 "I don't support that protocol"
error code, but is also saying that it doesn't support that
protocol.

PORT doesn't work - it returns an immediate error "Failed to establish
connection".

---> PORT 192,20,225,40,219,254
200 PORT command successful. Consider using PASV.
---> LIST
425 Failed to establish connection.

tcpdump shows that it didn't send any packets trying to establish
a connection to 192.20.225.40 and the 425 error comes too
quickly to have tried.

It looks like 3 out of 4 data channel establishment mechanisms
are broken with this FTP server software and configuration for
IPv4.  I didn't test with IPv6.

  Bill