Re: IETF IPv6 platform configuration

2006-07-06 11:43:00

On Thursday, July 06, 2006 10:45:52 AM -0400 Bill Fenner <fenner(_at_)research(_dot_)att(_dot_)com> wrote:

It looks like 3 out of 4 data channel establishment mechanisms
are broken with this FTP server software and configuration for
IPv4.  I didn't test with IPv6.

I did, inadvertently. PASV worked, as did at least one of PORT and EPSV. I didn't try EPRT. My guess is that there's some _thing_ in the IPv4 path that is breaking things because it doesn't like PORT and doesn't support the extended modes, either because it's too old or too broken.

This is one of the reasons for both the layered network model and the end-to-end principle -- avoiding the need for devices in the middle of the network to understand application protocols not only makes it easier to deploy new applications, but also reduces the chances that some device you have no control over will break the applications you already have.

-- Jeffrey T. Hutzelman (N3NHS) <jhutz+(_at_)cmu(_dot_)edu>
  Sr. Research Systems Programmer