Re: Response to the Appeal by JFC Morfin dated 2006-02-17 - 2006-05-17.

2006-07-11 01:40:34
On Tue, 11 Jul 2006, Jefsey Morfin wrote:

Two appeals have been responded today. A first reading shows an
impressive distance between the response and the matter of the appeal.

There were only two outstanding appeals, the other one being from me. I
can't see the response to JFC on the IESG site, but JFC has certainly
understated the response I did see. "Impressive distance", indeed.

While some parts of my June Appeal required some knowledge of DNS and
Anycast to understand, the impropriety of the IESG response can be
understood by just about anyone:  The third issue they addressed was the
failure of IESG members accused of wrongdoing to recuse themselves. The
IESG held they do not have to recuse themselves. But it is
well-established notion of professional ethics that one cannot sit in
judgement of one's own actions. That is a blatant conflict of interest.
Just about anyone can understand that.

But apparently the IESG--as a whole--cannot understand this fundamental
principle of ethics that requires recusal for conflict of interest.
Even though the IESG as a whole was reminded of this through repeated
requests for the officials (Kessens and Carpenter) to recuse themselves
and halt repeated instances of improper interference. This ethical
dysfunction discredits the IESG and its members as a competent body to
make fair and ethical judgements.  And this dysfunction discredits the
IESG and members as an activity of the ISOC subject to the ISOC bylaws
which require high standards of ethical behavior.  The ethics of recusal
are pretty straightforward in this instance.  The issues are now more
serious: Rather than merely two offending officials, there is now (at
least) a majority of the IESG involved.  This is now a very serious
breach of public integrity.

The other elements of the IESG decision are likewise not credible.
This decision will also be appealed to the IAB.  Other organizations
will also have to be notified.  I anticipate that honest, ethical
members of the IESG will shortly resign or have already resigned to
protect their reputations. I will give a few days for these notices to
circulate.  The remaining members will be named as offending
participants in further complaints about this impropriety.

Dean Anderson
Av8 Internet, Inc

617 344 9000