Re: Response to the Appeal by JFC Morfin dated 2006-02-17 - 2006-05-17.

2006-07-11 11:18:58

On 11-Jul-2006, at 05:32, Dean Anderson wrote:

BTW, the IESG response implied that the allegations of scientific fraud
were (somehow) not substantiated.

I haven't seen these specific complaints voiced with this clarity before (maybe I overlooked some mail). Perhaps this is a good opportunity to dispense some additional perspective.

[...]

What the full community may not know, [but ISC, RIPE, Joe Abley, David
Kessens, Brian Carpenter, and the IESG do know], is that the report
claiming that stateful anycast was stable was fabricated, and that no
stateful testing was performed by the DNSMON program.  Contrary to
assurances given by Karrenberg, there is no data which supports the
notion that stateful DNS Anycast is safe, nor any data that disputes
data and assertions that show DNS Anycast is unsafe.

I don't believe the fact that DNSMON sends all its probe queries using UDP transport is news to anybody. It's certainly not a secret, as you have aptly illustrated by looking at the source code, which is freely available.

I was in the meeting in Seattle where Daniel presented his analysis of DNSMON and RIS data in an attempt to draw conclusions about the stability of various nameservers which had been distributed using anycast.

The approach Daniel took (which was analogous to earlier work presented by Verisign and also the work done by Peter Booth at the University of Oregon) was to look at measurements which had already been made by the NCC's DNSMON project, and try to identify whether individual DNSMON probes saw oscillations in node selection over time and if so, with what frequency.

It is possible to identify oscillations in node selection from individual probes without using TCP transport. (In fact, it seems to me that it's easier to acquire unambiguous results using UDP transport, since if there *are* node oscillations which would damage TCP, measurements using TCP would simply indicate failure without revealing the nature of the oscillation.)

However, from what I could tell from Daniel's presentation, the fact that UDP transport was used by DNSMON was a simple result of the fact that UDP measurement data is what was already stored, and hence that was the data that was available for analysis.

I can find no example of Daniel (or anybody else) claiming that DNSMON in general, or the data which formed the basis of Daniel's NANOG presentation in particular, resulted from DNS queries made using TCP transport. The only person suggesting otherwise is you.

Surely this whole issue is a red herring.

Now put this in context along with repeated assertions from Joe Abley
and others associated with ISC and RIPE that stateful anycast is safe
and even non-controversial.  More history is found at
http://www.av8.net/IETF-watch/DNSRootAnycast/History.html

I fully support continued measurement of services which have been distributed using anycast.

I make no claims that anycast is definitively safe for protocols and services which don't involve trivial, stateless transactions. The document draft-ietf-grow-anycast-04 goes to great lengths to describe considerations in protocol/transaction and network characteristics which should be well understood before anycast is chosen as a service distribution mechanism.

Kurtis and my slides in the open ops area meeting this afternoon will repeat the message that unicast is not a universally applicable strategy.

However, I also don't presume to say that (for example) protocols based on TCP are always unsafe for deployment using anycast in all possible networks. For example, there are people using anycast to distribute services using very long-held sessions (e.g. internet radio, HTTP) with great success, and to ignore their experience and success would be idiotic and arbitrary.

Joe