Re: Response to the Appeal by JFC Morfin dated 2006-02-17

2006-07-11 12:41:26
I don't think the IESg intended to imply that the IETF does not care
about human rights.

The IETF does have its own process rules intended to insure fairness,
and section 6.5.3 of RFC 2026 provides relief in cases where those
rules are inadequate.

However the IESG at least believes that while the spirit of the UDHR
applies to the IETF, the letter of the law does not.

In other words, I personally believe it would have been more
reasonable for Jefsey to complain that the process was not fair using
the UDHR as a example of fairness rather than to directly refer to the
UDHR.

It is my personal opinion that Jefsey was trying to be legalistic, and
the IESG was legalistic in its response.

--Sam