Re: Comments on draft-carpenter-newtrk-questions-00.txt

2006-07-13 15:06:38

On Jul 13, 2006, at 3:25 PM, Eliot Lear wrote:

We are in this position because we are not today documenting existing practice, having not properly understood the lack of desire to do what you class as "minor amount of work".

The SRD approach generates Name.Serial references to sets of documents after expending a "minor amount of work." This minor effort reduces other efforts expected of the RFC editor, IESG, IETF WGs, and of those attempting to compile useful references. When other standard bodies want to coordinate IETF changing references, Name.Serial makes predicting future references simple. These stable and recognizable references should assist someone wanting to specify a level of compliance by picking the Serial number. These references will likely be viewed as either Current or Stable by the community, rather than less meaningful Draft-Standard, Proposed-Standard, etc. When joined together in sets, the status of individual RFCs become far less relevant. Once Serial.Name is instantiated, outmoded unsupported designators could be themselves made historic. : )

If the work truly is minor, then again I have no problem with this approach, as it's actually a two step approach that hides behind the word Historic. But let us not get ourselves into a position where we're marking widely used specs Historic left and right simply because we couldn't get someone to jump through hoops.

And I think we're at the point where I'm violating my own rule. There is no concrete proposal here that I can argue in favor of or oppose, so I think I'd better shut up and wait for one.

I think there was general consensus for going forward with the SRD draft in Paris. It is hard to understand who's oxen was being gored, and why the newtrk group failed to move forward, but the view that this represents additional effort is greatly mistaken. When seen in the larger picture, this approach represents a significant reduction in efforts expended by all involved.

-Doug