Re: Comments on draft-carpenter-newtrk-questions-00.txt

2006-07-13 11:51:14
Pekka Savola wrote:
Some of this would in fact usually be documenting the product bugs
that were caused by ambiguous or incorrect specification.  You're
right that once you've figured out a way to fix a spec problem in YOUR
implementation, there may be marginal interest in fixing it in the
spec.  However, I believe doing so will reduce the load on customer
support (and ultimately also engineering which will need to answer the
escalated support issues), because many of the support issues are
actually caused by interoperability between different products or
vendors.

I'm not saying don't fix interoperability problems that actually have
impact in a two-step approach.  In fact if there *are* interoperability
problems, that's an argument to recycle the spec, IMHO.  I am saying
that having that as a formal requirement demonstrably deters people from
actually doing the work.  Doing that function survey is pain in the butt.

Eliot