RE: Meetings in other regions

2006-07-14 18:10:55

|> -----Original Message-----
|> From: JORDI PALET MARTINEZ
[mailto:jordi(_dot_)palet(_at_)consulintel(_dot_)es]
|> Sent: Saturday, July 15, 2006 1:05 AM
|> To: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
|> Subject: Re: Meetings in other regions
|>
|> There are two issues:

I believe there are far more issues which makes the whole thing much more
complex than most of us would like and it is sometimes a good idea to hash
over the issues now and again to see if there have been any changes which may
assist with future direction.

|> 1) Cost. IETF has limited resources, so unless each of us
|> want to pay more and more for the registration fees or we
|> are able to compensate the cost with more sponsors (which is
|> every day more difficult), we need to look for cheaper locations.

For someone like me who is involved in a lot of things from personal interest
and inclination without corporate backing, costs are an important issue.  I've
given some thought to this, how participation is restricted for individuals
and have come to the conclusion it is not such a bad thing.  Individuals can
participate in the IETF without having it cost them a fortune which is
different to a lot of other organisations, even if that participation is
somewhat limited.  It is one of the great things about the IETF I like, how
anyone can become involved.

|> 2) Is un fair that the main driver is only looking at where
|> more people comes from (this is fortunately changing anyway,
|> and thus will less and less easy to match). Even worst if
|> that's a country with doesn't allow everyone to come in.

I'm not sure if it is because I'm getting older and have more understanding or
if I have seen enough evidence to support it but I find myself relying more on
the intrinsic good will of people and assuming they make decisions after
considering all factors, more often than not.  As has been pointed out, the
location will affect demographics and I'm satisfied this is considered when a
decision is made on where the next meeting will be held.  As are a lot of
other factors.

There will always be ideas put forward for alternative locations and ways to
decide on the selection.  This is a good thing.  It keeps the whole process on
track.

Darryl (Dassa) Lynch