Re: Meetings in other regions

2006-07-17 05:47:51

On Jul 17, 2006, at 8:45 AM, Marshall Eubanks wrote:

Hello;

On Jul 17, 2006, at 8:21 AM, <Pasi(_dot_)Eronen(_at_)nokia(_dot_)com> <Pasi(_dot_)Eronen(_at_)nokia(_dot_)com> wrote:

John C Klensin wrote:

It also means such things as:

    * picking places within those countries or regions that have
    good airports with easy (and multiple) international
    connections.  Even San Diego is a little marginal in that
    regard.  Based on experience in the last year or so, I'd
    suggest that Cape Town and Marrakech (suggested in another
    posting) should be utterly disqualified (although J-berg and
    Casablanca are more plausible on this dimension).

Some data about San Diego: Today, the flight information page on San
Diego "International" Airport web site shows a couple of flights
to/from Mexico and a couple to/from Canada -- all the others are
within US.

When meeting in North America, I would strongly prefer cities that
have several direct flight connections from both Europe and Asia.
Of the recent IETF meeting places, San Diego is the only one that
clearly fails this criteria... so why are we going there again?

Even direct flights within the US can be hard to find.

Depending on where you are coming from, and when you purchase your tickets,
you may find it faster / cheaper / better
to fly to LAX or Long Beach and drive down to San Diego. (LAX <-> San Diego is ~ 200 km, and LAX is basically on the San Diego Freeway.) I did this for the one San Diego IETF.

s/the one San Diego IETF/the one San Diego IETF I attended/

Sorry for the typo
Marshall

If you do that, be aware that there is a permanent immigration checkpoint on the
San Diego freeway Northbound, which can cause backups returning.

Regards
Marshall

Best regards,
Pasi