LA -> San Diego transportation (Was: Re: Meetings in other regions)

2006-07-18 11:42:45
[ Disclaimer, I grew up in San Diego and now live in the LA area, so I have
biases in both directions. :) ]

Pasi(_dot_)Eronen(_at_)nokia(_dot_)com wrote:

(BTW, how much would a taxi from LAX to San Diego cost? And would
you expect taxis willing to do it?)

It's 120+ miles from LAX to the Sheraton San Diego, so a taxi isn't
practical. However, there are various ground transportation services that
ply that route, so if there is sufficient interest I wouldn't mind looking
into it and posting the results. I would say that the suggestion already
offered of the train from LA's Union Station to San Diego is a good one. The
city of Los Angeles recently introduced a low cost shuttle between the
station and the airport, and the train station in San Diego is just a few
miles away from the Sheraton. My mother takes the train up from San Diego
when she comes to visit her granddaughter (I am of course a second
consideration), and has very good things to say about it. The train spends a
good deal of its time within view of the coast, so you get a fairly scenic
ride as well.

All that said, they do have commuter flights between LAX and SAN, so a
connecting flight is not as absurd as it sounds.

hth,

Doug

--
    If you're never wrong, you're not trying hard enough