Re: Meetings in other regions

2006-07-17 07:56:31
On 7/17/06 10:51 AM, "Iljitsch van Beijnum" <iljitsch(_at_)muada(_dot_)com>
wrote:
Why do you need a jabber _scribe_ for input?

To allow remote participants to provide input.

Although I did jabber scribing for a couple of sessions the past week
I don't see all that much value in doing that: the audio feeds are
much more useful for following what's going on.

As the number of meeting groups grow and the meetings become more
densely packed, the jabber transcripts are useful for following
what's going on in a meeting you're not in, as well as providing
feedback.

One thing that could help here is reduce the audio lag. It's quite
common to see something appear in jabber before you hear it on the
audio feed. A long delay makes reacting to the audio over jabber
problematic.

To be honest that's not something I noticed, and I was participating
from home last week.

But anyway, if we're going to continue to allow the meetings
to grow in significance (as a matter of process) it seems to me
that the remote participation tools become more important, not
less important.

Melinda