RE: Meetings in other regions

2006-07-18 08:46:18

-----Original Message-----
From: Melinda Shore [mailto:mshore(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com]
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2006 11:31 AM
To: Dave Cridland
Cc: IETF-Discussion
Subject: Re: Meetings in other regions

On 7/17/06 11:26 AM, "Dave Cridland" <dave(_at_)cridland(_dot_)net> wrote:
I think Melinda's intention was to suggest that the meetings ought to
be growing in significance.
Is that better?

The wording is better, but it's still the case that I'd rather that
we made a better effort to conduct the bulk of the IETF's business on
mailing lists rather than in meetings.  What I'm saying is that it's
hard to get the toothpaste back in the tube, and that if the growing
role of meetings is inevitable let's acknowledge that and try to make
it work well.

I like Spencer's suggestion.  In the past I've prepared final meeting
minutes by editing together the minute-taker's notes and the jabber
log and I thought it worked very well.

I've found that to be a very useful technique a well. The other thing that
continually amazes me is that more WG's have not adopted the practice of
appointing a WG Secretary to assist the chairs in various administrative
functions like document tracking, NIT reviews and more importantly being the
defacto permanent scribe.

I'm constantly amazed at WG meetings where 5 or 10 minutes being wasted
trying to console some poor soul into acting as a scribe.

I cant imagine co-chairing the ENUM WG anymore without a WG Secretary. I
wholeheartedly recommend enough the practice.